[MEncoder-users] h264 3-pass mode

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 23:13:02 CET 2007

Grozdan Nikolov wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 22:40, Justin Randall wrote:

>> Again, these settings are there for YOU to choose, so do some
>> research and decide what is best for you. Good luck.
>
> I see the second & third pass both have 'pass=3' is this a typo, or
> is this the correct way to do it?

Yes, it is.

> I always thought it was 'pass=1' then 'pass=2' and finally 'pass=3'

No. 'pass=2' is for when you will be doing exactly two passes. When you
will be doing more than two passes, every pass except the first one
should use 'pass=3'.

The syntax is slightly confusing, but I was unable to think of a better
one which would fit the circumstances at the time; apparently no one
else was either, so there you have it.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.