[MEncoder-users] h264 3-pass mode

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Tue Jan 16 01:36:52 CET 2007

Hi,

I have a question about 3-pass encoding with x264. I read the man page and
from what I understand, when I'm doing a 3-pass encoding, I will have to
encode the movie 4 times.... is this correct???

From what I understand...

1-pass -> collects statistics
2-pass - > reads statistics & bases ratecontrol decision
3-pass -> does both, if first reads the statistics then it overwrites them

so, the final pass of 3-pass encoding must be the fourth one, where it reads
the overwritten statistics and encodes the movie. Is this correct??

Thank you, GN