[MEncoder-users] Bits per pixel, bitrate and resolution

Olivier Rolland billl at users.sf.net
Fri Jan 12 12:09:20 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > But really, why do you insist on a higher bpp?  It's not a good metric
> > on it's own.
> >
> > If your encoded video looks bad, that's an entirely different problem.
>
> Right, bpp is only useful for selecting the initial bitrate or resolution.
> Once you have a result to look at, modify it based on how it looks, not
> based on what the numbers say.

Well, the video does look good, but it could be better and that is
what the numbers say:
- the video file is shorter than expected,
- the bitrate is not the one expected,
- the bpp is not the one expected.

The more I increase the resolution, the more bits are used and the
more the file has the expected size even though the bpp is not
increased. And, more important, the video looks better (or so I
think).

This makes me feel that bpp is not that usefull for selecting the
initial resolution.

Cheers,

Olivier