[MEncoder-users] Bits per pixel, bitrate and resolution

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jan 11 07:22:44 CET 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:11:59 +0100
"Olivier Rolland" <billl at users.sf.net> wrote:

> $ mencoder -nocache -noslices -zoom -mc 0 -nosound -sws 7 -vf
> pp=ha/va/dr,crop=704:576:8:0,scale=576:336,hqdn3d=2:1:2,harddup -ovc

Doing deblocking and other pp options when encoding is almost always a
very bad idea. It will just introduce noise, and most likely won't
make the output look any better.

> autoaspect:chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg:qpel:turbo:max_bfr
> ames=2,threads=2,bitrate=1200,pass=2

If that's how you actually typed it, mencoder is probably ignoring
everything after the first comma.

> What I don't understand, however, is how to increase the bpp given
> that increasing (or decreasing) the resolution don't do the trick.

Removing hqdn3d might help.

But really, why do you insist on a higher bpp?  It's not a good metric
on it's own.

If your encoded video looks bad, that's an entirely different problem.