[MEncoder-users] Aspect distortion converting dvb-t files

Justin Randall jrrandall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:43:47 CET 2007

Can you post a screen shot? I believe you that it is distorted, but
720x576 should work for a 4:3 PAL image on a square pixel display.
What is the format and container that you're converting to? AVI
container has an option for aspect ratio, but it is ignored by many of
the media players available, so it's not a good option. I'm not sure
if you can use the mp4 container with mencoder, but if you can, then
it stores aspect ratio settings quite well. Perhaps somebody else on
this list would know more about that. The mp4 container uses the pixel
aspect ratio, or PAR, and you can set it via mp4box with "-par
1=16:15".  16:15 is the PAR for 4:3 PAL video, 8:9 is the PAR for 4:3
NTSC video. Good luck.
Justin