[MEncoder-users] Multi-threaded xvid-encoding on dual-core systems

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 14:24:44 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/9/07, Markus Bonet <m.bonet at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.01.2007, 13:31 +0100 schrieb Guillaume POIRIER:
>
> > > You have to compile the latest svn or cvs version of xvid to get
> > > multithreaded encoding.  I hope this helps.
> >
> > that, and maybe also xvid needs to be compiled with multi-threading
> > support, though it's possible that it's on by default.
>
> Brilliant! That did the trick (ok, could have thought about CVS
> myself...).
>
> Now I am doing some tests. I get an overall usage of 140-150% in the
> second pass. Is more speedup possible? I ran my first tests with 2
> threads.

Quoting the man page:
threads=<0-n>
              Create n threads to run the motion estimation (default:
0).  The maximum number of threads that can be used is the picture
height divided by 16.

So I'd suggest trying to put as many threads as the size of your
picture permits, and see how much speed-up you can get.

There aren't supposed to be any quality penalty due to multi-threading
mode, so you can safely always use the max number WRT your video
resolution.

Guillaume