[MEncoder-users] mencoder settings for Kinoma PalmOS media player?

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Tue Jan 2 12:42:20 CET 2007

Lennart Börjeson wrote:
> "-of lavf -lavfopts format=mpeg4"
That gives me:
> ** MUXER_LAVF
> If you wish to use libavformat muxing, you must ensure that your video
> stream
> does not contain B frames (out of order decoding) and specify:
>     -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames
> on the command line.
> REMEMBER: MEncoder's libavformat muxing is presently broken and will
> generate
> INCORRECT files in the presence of B frames. Moreover, due to bugs MPlayer
> will play these INCORRECT files as if nothing were wrong!
> Cannot initialize muxer.
> Exiting...

> Third question is the biggie. This guy's example didn't work. The Kinoma

>>> ofps=15.008
>>>
> ofps should be specified as a quotient, i.e -ofps=3000/1999 to get 15.008
> which BTW is... not especially common...

3000/1999 gives me 1.500 as reported by "mplayer --identify".

I tried 30000/1999 and that gave me 15.000.
> There's no really good way to tell why your player doesn't accept it
> unless you can find same way to get it to actually complain about
> specific issues. I'm afraid the only method you're left with is "trial
> and error".

Well, there should be some kind of "inspector" program out there that
would tell me things like the IPB frame ordering, etc. If Kinoma can
tell the difference, then any other piece of software should be able to
tell the difference.

- Joe