[MEncoder-users] mencoder interoperable formats

Hans-Werner Braun hwbmp at hpwren.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 23 16:39:09 CET 2007

I have a question regarding interoperability which I, despite many
attempts and much reading, could not figure out myself. For real-time
time-lapse animations on http://hpwren.ucsd.edu/cameras/ I am using
mencoder to create new animations every few minutes. For this, from a
perl program I use:

 system("/usr/local/bin/mencoder \"mf:///$DIR/$CAMERA/small/$dstamp/*-$APTAG.jpg\" -mf type=jpg:fps=10 -o $DIR/$CAMERA/$dstamp-temp.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv2 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null");

as the results work natively in mplayer (or course), and Windows
mediaplayer; although not on an OS X Macintosh. What I would like
to create is a format that plays at at least 640x480 size in Unix
(mplayer or whatever), Windows (mediaplayer), and OS X (quicktime
(not requiring quicktime pro)). I would much appreciate suggestions
to modify the above mencoder line towards a video format that
accomodates all three platforms, as I have been unsuccessful there
so far.

Hans-Werner