[MEncoder-users] hardcoding subtitles into video

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:58:53 CET 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 21:51, AlannY wrote:
> Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a video source which I am able, after some tweaking, to view with
> > MPlayer including subtitles.
> >
> > However, when I run mencoder with exactly the same source and options
> > (plus encoding and uoutput), subttiles don't get included in the result.
> >
> > I want them included, and hardcoded into the video stream. How do I do
> > this?
> >
> > mencoder 1.0pre8-3.3.5
>
> pre8 are deprecated :) :P :P Try to use rc1, or better compile from SVN.
> try "mencoder -ass -vf ass=file.ass" or .srt if you using SRT :)

-ass does not work with mencoder. And "-vf ass=file.ass" should be "-sub
file.ass".

You can use mencoder with older (white and black) subtitle engine,
without -ass option. Another way is  to embed subtitles with
mplayer -ass -sub file.ass -vo yuv4mpeg file.avi and then reencode output
with mencoder.