[MEncoder-users] mp4, aac and mencoder confusion...

Justin Randall jrrandall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:20:41 CET 2007

Mencoder can't support mp4 because it can't support B-frames, so
there's no point in trying mp4 until mencoder can do B-frames
properly. The only container that I've ever had any success with is
.avi, which is old and outdated, and surely it makes no sense
whatsoever to put MPEG-4 AVC stuff into an avi container. Telling
somebody not to use B-frames is completely ridiculous. A better
suggestion would be don't use mencoder cause it can't do what you want
it to do yet. Use ffmpeg and MP4Box for the time being.

On 2/13/07, Pierre Catello <pierre.catello at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/2/13, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it>:
> >
> > Pierre Catello wrote:

> > > I will try but won't raw prevent muxing to .mp4 with MP4Box (the doc
> > > says it requires ADTS AAC stream)?
> >
> > yes
>

> So, what's the point in suggesting to use :raw above ?
>
> > I would of course prefer to
> > > generate the mp4 directly with MEncoder, but I can't because of the
> > > B-frames...
> >
> > don't use B-frames
>

> I see. Thank you soooo much.

Justin Randall