[MEncoder-users] mp4, aac and mencoder confusion...

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 15:39:14 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I made some .avi with Mencoder that mux MPEG4 ASP video (xvid) with
AAC audio, with a command line like that :

mencoder  input.mpg -ovc xvid -xvidopts... \
 -oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4 -o output.avi

Mplayer plays them fine, but other windows players (Media Player
classic, or WMP 9) do not play the sound.

I tried to remux the avi to MP4 with MP4Box and Mencoder :

mencoder -oac copy -of rawaudio output.avi -o temp.aac
MP4Box -convert output.avi#video output.mp4
MP4Box -add temp.aac output.mp4

no errors are reported, but the resulting mp4 is quiet (no sound),
even with mplayer.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks