[MEncoder-users] Cropping black edges

Tomasz Ksiezyk ksiezyk at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 10 02:53:40 CET 2007

I got an AVI file which, when played, shows black bands at the edges. I
can run the mplayer with the option:
   -vf crop=<crop-values>
and everything is fine. However, I would like to remove the bands
permanently. When I do it with something like:

   mencoder -oac copy -vf crop=<crop-values> -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=<bitrate> name-in.avi -o name-out.avi

I get what I want, but I'm afraid, the video quality of the modified
file is diminished by this processing. Of course, I could tweak the
parameters better, but in the best case would only achieve the quality
of the original.

My question is then this:

Can I crop the video leaving everything else unmodified, i.e. copy only
a subregion of the video? If so, how could I do this? I tried:

   mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -vf crop=<crop-values> name-in.avi -o
name-out.avi

but this didn't work as I hoped for.

Thanks,

Tomasz Ksiezyk