[MEncoder-users] to crop or not to crop for DVB sources, aspect ratio issues?

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:20:07 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

I would like to use Mencoder to archive my DVB recording (MPEG2
transport streams)...
Keeping the original format is the no brainer option, but of obviously
it isn't optimal for space saving (black borders).

The problem is that format are often different for TV programs:
normal 4:3
4:3 anamorphic (544x576 -> 720x576)
16:9 anamorphic in a 544x576 source
16:9 anamoprhic in a PAL source
2:35 anamorphic in a 544x576 source
2:35 anamorphic in a PAL source

and then all imaginable hybrid formats when the program has been
already cropped by the broadcaster...

If I crop before encoding, is there a safe way to compute the aspect
ratio for the player?

Thanks