[MEncoder-users] Any experts? MEncoder places chroma in wrong field...

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Dec 14 12:22:43 CET 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 02:44:32AM -0800, B.P. wrote:
[...]
> After lots of experimentation, I discovered the apparent solution to
> this mystery - changing "-vf scale=704:480" to "-vf scale=704:480:1:0".
> That completely resolved the problem for ordinary DVD player viewing.
> But it caused the issue to begin occurring with software playback (in
> VLC and MPC)!  http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2950/vlccap2av8.png

Better make the screenshots with MPlayer, it is a bit much to expect for
anyone here to know both mencoder and VLC code/chroma scaling behaviour.
But without special handling, all software players are only suitable for
playback of progressive content, you will have to a deinterlace, in
MPlayer e.g. with -vf yadif - though in this particular case -vf tfields
may be more helpful.
As to ilpack: you should compare ilpack=0 and ilpack=1 , but probably
that it fixes display and reduces chroma probably has the same
underlying reason, namely that it averages chroma between the two fields
in the default mode.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger