[MEncoder-users] Ogg Theora and Mencoder

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:45:48 CET 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:35:01 +0100
Reimar Doeffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> Are you sure? Maybe you used some mkv version a long time ago, the
> format was optimized a bit still...

You're correct.  I updated mkv tools and libs and now Ogg and MKV are
nearly the same.  I still find some cases where, oddly, MKV still does
much worse than Ogm for Theora+Vorbis.  And mkvmerge apparently doesn't
handle chained (concatenated) oggs.

> Incompatibility is why I recommend against ogg. My impression is that
> the number of ogg files that do not play right is higher than even for
> undocumented formats like asf and real, at least for MPlayer...

Different definition of compatibility.  Most, if not all, software than
can handle Theora, can also handle Oggs.  Not necessarily so for MKV.

I haven't come across an Ogg that couldn't be played yet, but I guess I
could have just been lucky.