[MEncoder-users] Ogg Theora and Mencoder

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Dec 4 09:35:01 CET 2007

Hello,
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 07:14:47PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:53:10 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>
> > Even if you use Theora for video, please do _not_ use ogg as
> > container, it is a horrible format. There are a lot of saner ones like
> > Matroska, nut, even AVI I'd consider better (though that one has
> > problems with Vorbis)...
>
> It's just unfortunate that mkv actually has more overhead than Ogg.

Are you sure? Maybe you used some mkv version a long time ago, the format
was optimized a bit still...

> And I generally wouldn't recomend creating files that are unnecessarily
> incompatible with commonly available software, just to avoid a few
> annoyances of dealing with Ogg.

Incompatibility is why I recommend against ogg. My impression is that the
number of ogg files that do not play right is higher than even for undocumented
formats like asf and real, at least for MPlayer...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger