[MEncoder-users] frame size confusion

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sun Dec 2 00:36:06 CET 2007

Mark, Michael

Thank you both for responding.

Mark, that was a very helpful explanation. It cleared up a lot for me.
By the way, if it makes any difference, I'm in Japan, but NTSC is still
the standard here.

I do have a follow up question.

I understand that the pixels are not perfectly square in the wide screen
format, which accounts for why I'm seeing differences in the results I'm
rendering.

But I'm unsure about how to compensate for this. Does this mean that if
I want to convert to AVI, I should render out to 720x406? Am I losing 34
lines of picture in doing so?

Or should I render out to 1013x480?

> http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/

Great link. I'm sure I'm going to be referencing the chart there quite a
bit over the next little while.

--
Dave M G