[MEncoder-users] MPEG-2 muxer

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Mon Aug 27 22:23:59 CEST 2007

Nicolas Hesler wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Nicolas Hesler wrote:
> >
> >> Can you recommend a method by which you could use Mencoder as the
> >> encoder, retain sync as much as possible and end up with 2 files (m2v
> >> and ac3)?
> >>
> > getting the audio and video files is as easy as running
> > mencoder -of rawaudio  and mencoder -of rawvideo
> > on the final mpeg file, but your question shows that
> > you didn't understand the problem: whenever you demultiplex
> > the mpeg file you are likely to introduce desynchrony
> >

> Is this desynchrony due poor muxing/encoding on the part of the original
> encoder?

Yes. And that's why the solution is non-trivial. There are
any number of pathologies that can plague a dvd that result
in loss of sync after ripping.

When I was ripping a lot of Japanese made dvd's, I never had
sync issues. Now that I am ripping a lot of Indian dvd's, Kali
Durga must be served large patches of freshly uprooted hair
each time.

> Is there demultiplex software that can "fix" the streams to be in sync?
> (if that makes sense)

Whether they can be fixed depends upon what caused the de-sync.
If the desync was caused by asymmetrical loss of frames between
the video and audio streams, no.