[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Sat Aug 25 07:46:48 CEST 2007

Hi

I have recently purchase a video camcorder, which records mpeg2 files.  I am
running through some tests between xvid and the lavc encoders.  They xvid seems
to produce smaller end files.

as I am new to encoding/mencoder I thought I would ask the list.  What are the
main difference between the 2.

Whilst doing a bit of research I also came across x264, found a codec head off
report at doom9, but did not actually make too much out of it.

my current tests that I am running is

for each mpeg2 file
  encode at 800 , 1200 1600 kbit
	for lavc I am doing a 3 pass encode, whilst also changing the ac3 to lame
	for xvid I am doing a 2 pass encode, again whilst doing a change to the
sound

this is the lavc options I am using

vcodec=mpeg4:threads=2:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:qns=2:aspect=16/9:dc=10:vbitrate=$VBITRATE

these are the xvid options I am using

threads=2:chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg:aspect=16/9:bitrate=$VBITRATE

my vf options

-vf softskip,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -aspect 16:9

for some reason the camera can record in 16:9, but doesn't record the fact in
the mpeg2 stream! so I have to place it encoding.

audio options

-oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard

I have just realised I might not need to do this on the first pass! Another
question what options do i need in the first past. Looking to speed the process
up

Thanks
Alex