[MEncoder-users] x264 encoding related - artifacts after broken encoding

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 21 08:43:32 CEST 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Thilanka Niroshana wrote:

> This is regarding a broken x264 encoding.
> I encoded a movie using the x264 codec and suddenly the machine went down (
> elctricity).
> Then after rebooting the file was there but when sought ( seeking) artifacts
> appear and and encoded the second part of the movie and merged them together
> but the first part still has artifacts or i mean little squares and the
> colors are different. But it becomes okay when a different scene appears.
> Is there a solution to this rather than doing the encoding again.
> I hope you guys understand what i'm saying.

Since mencoder didn't get to finalize the first file, it didn't write the
avi index (specifying which frames are keyframes). And mplayer's
indexless avi parser doesn't know how to derive keyframe flags for h264.

Solution: demux the video stream to raw .264, then mux it again with some
h264-aware muxer, like mkvmerge, mp4box, or avc2avi.

--Loren Merritt