[MEncoder-users] Creating an avi from a group of jpgs

Alex Nyers nyersa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 01:58:34 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I have been struggling with creating an avi from a group of jpg's (~14
thousand) that I took with an intervalometer and a nikon d5300 over
the summer at an archaeology dig. The images were originally taken at
2592x1944, then scaled down to 1024x768. Originally I tried to use the
batch feature with paint shop pro 8 to change the resolution, but it
failed after processing a few hundred, so I used imagemagick (winxp)
to convert them. The string used was "mogrify -resize 1024x768 *.jpg".
I then download mplayer via the svn trunk from the mplayerhq site, and
ran the following string to convert them into a mpeg using my linux
box: "mencoder mf:///alex_c_drive/pics/testing/ -mf fps=25:type=jpg
-ovc lavc -lavcops vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell -o
/home/nyersa/output.avi". The images are being pulled across the
network from my windows box to the linux box via a samba share, and
then stored locally as an avi on the linux box. Whenever I try to
create the avi, I get blue artifacts on the bottom third of the frame
after ~ 100 jpg's are processed. I have tried using different codecs,
such as mpeg2 and mjpeg, but with no difference in results. I have
included a group of 100 images, and the output.avi file that I get
when I run the previously mentioned string on the ftp site
(ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/) in a file called
images.zip. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks,

Alex Nyers