[MEncoder-users] How does one interlace progressive content?

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:54:43 CEST 2007

2007/8/15, Ivo <ivop at euronet.nl>:

> When I pay good money for a DVD (i.e. not the 5 euro-bin) I expect it to
> be
> encoded manually and of the best quality possible (properly preprocessed,
> progressively encoded, etc). I have seen DVD's that had a
> behind-the-scenes
> documentairy on it that looked like a bad VHS copy. The extra's are one of
> the things that make me buy non-budget DVD's, but if they look like crap
> and are obviously the automated rush-job you speak of, I'd rather do
> without them.
>
> --Ivo

DVD are mass market products, coming from mass production. The standard was
designed with a given target quality. It was not designed with in mind "how
can we squeeze the most possible quality out of a 4-9 GB media space",
otherwise, such things like sub titles encoded as video overlay wouldn't
exist, neither PCM audio...

Pierre