[MEncoder-users] How does one interlace progressive content?

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:38:59 CEST 2007

2007/8/14, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:

> What means "encoded as 576 interlaced"? They could have simply used the
> interlaced motion estimation and interlaced dct, that works perfectly
> fine for progressive data, it just wastes lots of bits. That kind of

Of course encoding as interlaced means processing the source as separated
fields and hence using interlaced-aware dct etc.
You're playing on words... If "encoded as interlaced" is not clear, then
lavc ilme, idct options are not clear, xvid interlaced encoding is not
clear, x264 interlaced encoding is not clear etc.

thing can happen easily if you have the usual person without a clue
> using an encoder that is crap (and looking at some of my DVDs, there are
> a lot of both in that field - but with most using dual layer DVDs
> that's not really much of a problem).

You're wrong. Interlaced encoding can arise from other reasons, and with
people who do have clues about video processing.
But, you, do you have any clues about industrial processes (in particular
DVD production), or broadcast processes. Do you really think that someone is
"manually encoding" each content that you find on a DVD or a DVB stream ??
You of course know that in many cases hardware encoder are used, or single
pass real time encoder in the case of DVB, without information about the
incoming or source stream.

As you said it, encoding as interlaced, beside not being optimal regarding
*size*, can accomodate both progressive and interlaced source, so it is the
most versatile way of encoding automatically without meta data describing
the incoming source. DVDs  have enough room to "waste bits" as you said,
which, IMHO is not wasting bits but using them in an automatic process
having to deal with a wide variaty of sources without risking to compromize
quality.

Regards