[MEncoder-users] How does one interlace progressive content?

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Sun Aug 5 13:08:50 CEST 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007 07:06, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 03:08:15 +0200
>
> Grozdan Nikolov <microchip at chello.be> wrote:
> > so how are interlaced PAL DVDs made? I have a couple of them here and
> > mplayer  always reports 25fps frame rate
>
> They are interlaced to begin with, NOT converted from progressive to
> interlaced.
>
> I can't imagine what you hope to accomplish by converting progressive
> video to interlaced, but I can assure you it won't have any positive
> effects at all.

Hi RC,

I'm actually trying to accomplish nothing. It's not that I encode progressive
content to interlaced. I'm trying to understand how interlacing (and
telecine) is made because I'm curious. I know interlacing and telecine is bad
but I'm curious about how it is made, hence all the questions I asked here in
the past ;)