[MEncoder-users] How does one interlace progressive content?

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Sun Aug 5 03:08:15 CEST 2007

On Sunday 05 August 2007 02:45, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Grozdan Nikolov wrote:
> > I have a 25fps progressive PAL DVD and I want to make it interlaced
> > during encoding. Do I have to only add the tinterlace=4 filter to the
> > filter chain or do I also have to provide a -ofps value?
>
> tinterlace=4 will give you 12.5fps interlaced output. That can't possibly
> look better than 25fps progressive even on interlaced displays.

so how are interlaced PAL DVDs made? I have a couple of them here and mplayer
always reports 25fps frame rate

I did a small test here with tinterlace=4 on a 25fps progressive PAL DVD and
during encoding, mencoder printed a lot of duplicate frames but the result
was a 25fps file (or at least that's what mplayer and avidump reports). The
file played just fine without sync issues and I could see the interlacing