[MEncoder-users] Bonus Round: US OTA-HD scripts or flags?

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 06:00:19 CEST 2007

On 4/27/07, Robert Current <robert.current at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are basically two down conversions I'm trying to do, convert the
> captured mpeg2 1920x1080 to an mp4 1280x720 @30fps if it's actually an
> HD broadcast.
>
> The second one is to take the mpeg2 1920x1080 and convert it down to a
> NTSC SD like 720x480 @30fps.

The above two would be great, but here's the third "bonus round" one I
am also wondering about...  I have another video capture card, a
Hauppauge PVR-150, working great, capturing and deleting
commercials.... thanks to this script:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Removing_Commercials

The output is a 4:3 format 480x480 video file that midentify calls:
NuppelVideo file format detected.
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=0
ID_FILENAME=/myth/tv/1056_20070421090000.mpg
ID_DEMUXER=nuv
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=DIVX
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=13200000
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=480
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=480
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=85
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=1024000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2

...ok...  So, say that's a letter box movie, recorded on (USA) cable
TV, and I'd be happy to transcode/convert it to a 16:9 file croping
the upper and lower black parts out.  How about that one?

Of course, that's not going to save me much file space, and my first
to questions are WAY higher in priority.  But I'm guessing I'm not the
only one who would like to do these three things... scripted maybe, a
OTA-HD-to-SD, and OTA-HD-to-1280x720, and SD-480x480-to-720x408
scripts?