[MEncoder-users] conversion from rm to avi - filesize blowout

Phil Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Thu Apr 19 14:51:00 CEST 2007

Guillaume,

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 14:08 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Phil Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > When I converted a file with:
> >
> > mencoder 4Corners_Energy.rm -mf fps=25 -o 4Corners_Energy.avi -ovc lavc -oac pcm -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
> >
> > I got a filesize blowout from:
> >
> >         13.5MB
> >
> > to:
> >
> >         69.5MB
> >
> > - why is this?  I was expecting a modest increase in size . .
>
> it's likely due to -oac pcm (i.e. uncompressed WAV)

You are correct - results for audio options:

    -oac copy
        no encoding, just streamcopy    # does not work with realmedia
    -oac pcm
        Encode to uncompressed PCM      # large files
    -oac mp3lame
        Encode to MP3 (using LAME)      # seems good
    -oac lavc
        Encode with a libavcodec codec  # lose sound

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599