[MEncoder-users] Transcoding and cutting h264 TS stream

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:49:00 CEST 2007

On 4/16/07, Peter Martens <petermartens.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/4/16, Joey Parrish <joey.parrish at gmail.com>:
> > It sounds like you are transcoding just fine.  Cutting, however, is
> > not the strong suit of MEncoder.  It's a transcoding application, not
> > an editor.  Yes, you can achieve the effect of transcoding a piece of
> > the file, but it's not really what MEncoder is good it.  YMMV.

> What Linux-based alternative would be usefull for editing? Avidemux
> doesn't like the TS-streams...

I don't know.  I use virtualdub (in Wine and native Windows) and I use
VideoReDo (in Wine and in native Windows).  Video ReDo is MPEG only
and costs money, but was useful enough for me to be worth a $50
lifetime license.  This is primarily because of all the trouble I've
had trying to do the same things with free software.  Sorry.

There may be good open solutions for this that I'm not aware of.

--Joey