[MEncoder-users] output format and mencoder.conf profiles

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:03:32 CEST 2007

On 4/16/07, Dave Puryear <Dave.Puryear at dataconversions.biz> wrote:
> I'm wondering why MEncoder's verbose output states the following:
> WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.
>
> I am aware of the need to specify output format when using containers
> other than avi.

> The output file is definitely MPEG-2, playable by wmp, real, vlc,
> mplayer,
> and ffplay, but why the AVI warning?

On what are you basing the notion that it's "definitely MPEG-2"?  The
fact that it plays in other players is not proof of that.  Run the
file utility, like so:
file C:\A-V\Net\file_01_edit.mpg
What does it say?

> Freehand CL typing produces no such warnings:
Which should be good evidence that something is different.

Personally, I get this warning most often when I've screwed up the
path to my config file.  Perhaps your config options aren't being
loaded.  So try the file utility and verify if it believes that your
output is in fact MPEG.

--Joey