[MEncoder-users] FW: Questions about licencing of Mencoder

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Apr 16 14:02:51 CEST 2007

On Monday, 16 April 2007 at 11:37, Nicolas Rouiller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm developping an application to rip a DVD and convert its content into an
> AVI file. I have seen that "mencoder" tool is perfect to do that and I have
> some questions about the licence.
>
> I have seen that mplayer is under GPL licence, is mencoder too under GPL
> licence? In this case, I suppose that I must provide my source code, is it
> exact (I don't know if it will be possible... I must see with our client)?

My understanding is that if you simply build MEncoder from unmodified sources
and put the resulting binary together with your application on a CD or in an
installation package, then all you need to do is provide some means to get
the exact sources used to build that MEncoder binary at no additional charge.

However, if you modify MEncoder, then you must release all your
modifications under GPL as well.

I would suggest going over GPL with your lawyer, because none of us here are
lawyers and we cannot provide legal advice.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org