[MEncoder-users] FW: Questions about licencing of Mencoder

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Mon Apr 16 12:09:42 CEST 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 19:48, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> >(I don't know if it will be possible... I must see with our client)?
>
> if not you can't distribute your application and mencoder

To explain that a bit more, it means you can distribute your application
*without* mencoder, and have the user install it separately (which I've seen
software doing already.)  You can make this easier on the user by
redistributing the mencoder bundle as a separate package, as long as any
modifications you make to mencoder itself have been made available to
download.

The only time this enters the grey area is if your application automatically
goes off to download mencoder, installing it for the user.  Different
application authors (and it's the authors who ultimately get the say) have
different opinions of the legality of that approach.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/