[MEncoder-users] Weird sound corruption with AAC...

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 18:27:27 CEST 2007

I'm pulling my hair out on a weird problem :

On a well identified sample, AAC encoding with MEncoder results in a
strangely corrupted sound when played back by MPlayer (other players play
nicely the file generated by MEncoder).
- and If I encode the sound stream with FAAC, then MPlayer plays the file
nicely.

I only noticed the problem on this specific sample (at the beginning of a
recorded movie).

---- details:
source=clip.mpg # mpeg2 program stream, from a DVB source

mencoder $clip.mpg -vf crop=704:320:0:133 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
"vhq=2:bvhq=1:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:fixed_quant=4" -oac faac -faacopts
"br=128:mpeg=4" -o clip.xvidaac.avi

mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile clip.menc.aac clip.xvidaac.avi
# clip.menc.aac --> corrupted sound when played by MPlayer, ok with usual
Windows players (VLC, MPC, WMP, Nero Show Time)

MP4Box -add clip.xvidaac.avi#video clip.mp4
MP4Box -add clip.menc.aac clip.mp4
# clip.mp4 --> corrupted sound when played by MPlayer, ok with other players

# With FAAC :
clip.wav = PCM wave extracted from the source file clip.mpg (MPlayer -ao
pcm:fast ...)
faac -b 128 --mpeg-vers 4 clip.wav
# clip.aac plays nicely with MPlayer and other players

MP4Box -add clip.xvidaac.avi#video clip2.mp4
MP4Box -add clip.aac clip2.mp4
# clip.mp4 --> Plays nicely with MPlayer and other players