[MEncoder-users] Can mencoder mux a valid avi with aac audio ?

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:59:21 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

I try to make AVI file with AAC audio, but the resulting file has no sound,
except with mplayer...
all other player : VLC, media player classic (coreAAC DS filter is
installed), windows wedia player all report unknown codec or undefined
stream for the audio stream.

>From what I have read, AAC in AVI, although uncommon, is a valid format. I
demuxed the streams produced by mencoder with mplayer -dumpaudio and
-dumpvideo, and muxed them with the AVImux-GUI software which produced a
playable AVI file, so it is possible.
I would like to do the same with Mencoder (I encode under Linux and I need
scriptable tools), but all the settings I have tried failed :

mencoder "$1" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
"vhq=2:bvhq=1:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:fixed_quant=4" -oac faac -faacopts
"br=128:mpeg=4" -o "$1.xvid.avi"

adding -oac faac -fafmttag 0x706D .... did not helped
adding -faacopts "object=1:...." did not helped
adding -faacopts "....:raw" did not helped

Well, I'm running out of inspiration for options to try ;-)

Pierre