[MEncoder-users] Audio-density is ignored when recordin from TV if audio is not "pcm" or "copy" ?

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Sun Apr 1 18:57:51 CEST 2007

Hello mencoder-users,

This is my first post to the list, and I am quite a newbie about video.

I have a TV grabber card that I use in my linux box (debian etch).

I have installed Mencoder from the debian-multimedia.org repository, and I
can  record  TV  quite  well, but I'm having issues with the number of the
audio chunks compared to the number of video frames.

Since I need to split the AVI that I record (using avisplit), I have found
that  if  I  don't  have the same number of audio chunks and video frames,
when I split the AVI I get audio synch errors in the parts after the first
one.

I have found that Mencoder has an "audio-density" option, and I have tried
to  use  it to produce an AVI that has the same number of audio chunks and
video  frames,  but  I  was able to get a proper output (that has the same
number  of  chunks  and  frames) only if I use pcm or copy as audio output
encoders. (I use audio-density=25 and fps=25)

If  I  try  to  use lavc or mp3lame for audio encoding, even using CBR (as
stated  in  the  man page), I always get the wrong number of audio chunks,
that  is  1667  audio  chunks for 1500 video frames (that is one minute of
recording).

What am I doing wrong?

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi