[MEncoder-users] aac encoding with lavc

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:56:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/28/06, Fredrik Eriksson <feffese at yahoo.se> wrote:
> On 28-09-2006, at 10:32, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > On 9/27/06, Fredrik Eriksson <feffese at yahoo.se> wrote:
> >> For a while now it has been possible to encode aac audio with -oac
> >> lavc. However, the man page still doesn't say anything about it.
> >> Wouldn't it be good to update the man page?
> >
> > This is a problem that is hard to solve, because there both are few
> > information about these, and there likely are a lot of things to
> > cover. In addition, MPlayer/Mencoder's man page is already gigantic
> > (bigger than gcc's) so it wouldn't help to add a whole lot more
> > (considering the fact that ppl don't like to RTFM).
>
> problem indeed. Wouldn't it be a good idea to split the man pages for
> mplayer and mencoder? that would at least make the man page for
> mplayer much smaller.

Yes, as you noted, it'd mostly shrink mplayer's manpage, whereas
mencoder's manpage would mostly remain as big as it currently is.

> Maybe it would be possible to split the
> mencoder man page in two as well, one with basic mencoder usage, and
> one with advanced encoding options?

True, but what do you call "advanced" and "basic" options? Not that
easy to sort out...

In any case, yes, the issue of splitting the manpage has been brought
up many times in the past, and hasn't been done for different reasons:
mainly because nobody cared to implement a way to do it, and also
because no satisfary idea has been provided either.

> > As a side note, it should be possible to encode with aac directly
> > though mencoder. This is documented in our manpage.
> >
> > Guillaume
>
> yes, that's true, it's just that I have to ask when I find a
> undocumentet feature :)

:)

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!