[MEncoder-users] Creating Windows Media Player Compatible Files

enki dj_enkidu at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 21:20:02 CEST 2006

I have been trying to create movie files that can be played with the default settings of Windows Media Player on WinXP SP2. I tried the following options that I found on the net:

  > mencoder dv_input_movie.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=64 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o output_movie.avi

  The file I get does not always play on WMP. At the end of the mencoder output, I have the following message:

  [...]
  Writing index...
Writing header...
ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not writing vprp header.
  Video stream:  782.471 kbit/s  (97808 B/s)  size: 4636141 bytes  47.400 secs  11
85 frames

  It appears like the problem lies on the header that is not written. Tried to convert different formats but always had the same "ODML: ..." message.. Any suggestions?