[MEncoder-users] (addendum to) -oac copy when making a dvdrip introduces noticible 1-2-frame audio lag

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Sep 16 18:42:49 CEST 2006

Next time, if you have something to add, just reply to your last
message; that way, both messages are in the same thread.

Mike Hodson wrote:
> I should also point out, that I was not the one encoding this video
> first off, however, I always have experienced this issue, even as far
> back as 1.0.pre7. The version used to make the video in question was
> dev-SVN-r18972-3.4.6. The audio was guaranteed copied using -oac copy,
> as its 5.1 ac3, (and i know nobody who is willing to spend extra cpu
> cycles reencoding the audio to the exact same format/channels/bitrate)
>
> I am trying to re-encode this mencoded xvid into a dvd-profile mpeg2
> and I am using this commandline:

XviD uses 2 B-frames by default, which delays the video stream by 2
frames during encoding and another 1 frame during decoding. MEncoder and
MPlayer compensate for this delay starting with r17660, which means
1.0pre8 does and 1.0pre7 does not.

If you have A/V sync issues using '-oac copy' with a recent version of
MEncoder, then I cannot help you without seeing the command line used to
originally encode the video.

-Corey