[MEncoder-users] Compressing the photo camera Canon A610 video to mpeg4 at the best quality.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 22:54:16 CEST 2006

Strong wrote:

> Thank You, Lennart.

Please, learn to quote.

> I too take clips of my son. But i like those "dull" themes. It seems
> like I would like to take as much of him as possible! I'm mad
> probably. Another problem is that I would watch that o a computer so
> I need very good quality. As I have said, I've used a lot command
> parameters combinations including filters yet didn't reach the
> perfect movie quality.
>
> I think there should be a guide how to use that powerful tool the
> mencoder. May one can point to?

There isn't "a" guide - there are several, because MEncoder can be used
in many different ways depending on what you're trying to do with it.

The basics can be found at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mencoder.html

and the more advanced guides are mostly available at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/encoding-guide.html

> And an interesting thing I've found:
> $ mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=4:abr=4:q=5:aq=5 -ovc divx4
> -divx4opts br=3000:key=300:q=5:crispness=10:pass=1 -o out.avi in.avi
>
> MEncoder dev-Fedora-GS-CVS-060406-15:20-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron D Prescott; Xeon Nocona (Family: 15, Stepping: 3)
> CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE:1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
> -divx4opts is not an MEncoder option
> Exiting... (error parsing cmdline)
>
> According to man mencoder, '-divx4opts' is mencoder's option.
> ??

'divx4' does not appear in my version of the man page (dev-SVN-r19766).
Is this 'divx4linux'? Support for that was removed.

Also, you are using a significantly outdated version of MEncoder. We no
longer use CVS, and have switched to Subversion (SVN); also, 1.0pre8 has
been released, I believe later than your version's date. You should
update to a more recent version.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.