[MEncoder-users] Mutant interpolation method (was: Inverse telecine? framerate from 120000/1001 to 24000/1001)

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Sat Sep 9 21:02:34 CEST 2006

Le nonidi 19 fructidor, an CCXIV, scostas a écrit :
> I disagree: time interpolation. Why not interpolate between frames? This
> is, if the next frame falls between two original frames, let's do a
> proportional interpolation between them. It would emulate a motion blur,
> which is much more eye-candy than simply repeating a frame each 5.

This paragraph just gave me a funny idea: since most the video codecs seek
to define motion vectors and differences for parts of the image, what if,
instead of interpolating dumbly with a pixel-per-pixel mean value, one
somehow applied the transformation only partially, and especially with the
half motion vectors?