[MEncoder-users] Inverse telecine? framerate from 120000/1001 to 24000/1001

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 6 06:39:54 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:42:34AM +0200, scostas wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
>
> Hi all:
>
> >> AFAIK, there is no good way of converting 30 <-> 24 fps.
>
> > Yes, there is no way and never will be. You can't resample
> > undersampled signals. (Converting between 3000 fps and 2400 fps would
> > be easy on the other hand. :)
>
> I disagree: time interpolation. Why not interpolate between frames? This
> is, if the next frame falls between two original frames, let's do a
> proportional interpolation between them. It would emulate a motion blur,
> which is much more eye-candy than simply repeating a frame each 5.

This is an absolute abomination. Not only does it look horrible, but
it makes it totally impossible to recover the undamaged video to any
reasonable level. Frame duplication, while choppy and ugly looking, is
easy to reverse. But all of these are just wrong and stupid. Just
leave the video at its correct framerate and accept that resampling
time IS NOT POSSIBLE without framerates of at least 200-500 fps.

> To test this I did a little proof of concept in python (I attach the
> code in this message) and the results are very good. Why not implement
> the same into Mencoder?

Never! I've seen way too much official, commercial content BUTCHERED
like this. I will not contribute to making more such abominations!

Rich