[MEncoder-users] Automating telecined/interlaced detection

Scott Fones boson245 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 05:10:28 CEST 2006

Hi all,

        I'm trying to write a frontend to help automate my compression.
        I was
        hoping to autodetect whether the video is telecined or
        interlaced.  In
        the mplayer documentation it suggests using the pullup filter
        with the
        verbose flag and looking for the 3:2 pattern.

        http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-telecine.html#menc-feat-telecine-ident-telecined
        (Last Paragraph)

        I'm a little confused though as to where the 3:2 is showing up
        and
        whether the pattern they talk about "0+.1.+2 and 0++1
        alternating" is
        the only acceptable telecine pattern.  If its not "0+.1.+2 and 0
        ++1",
        can I assume that its interlaced?  And, is the 3:2 coming from
        the
        duration values that are printed out with the pattern.  For
        instance,