[MEncoder-users] Decoding h.264 issues

Lukas Österreicher lukas.oesterreicher at inode.at
Mon Oct 30 23:35:03 CET 2006

Hello.

I've recorded some HDTV shows as .ts files that contain mpeg4 avc video and ac3 audio.
I use a windows build from 25th October - the latest I could get - of mencoder.

I have trouble decoding the video without errors, like this:

[h264 @ 00C858F0]PAFF interlacing is not implemented
[h264 @ 00C858F0]illegal short term buffer state detected
[h264 @ 00C858F0]concealing 4080 DC, 4080 AC, 4080 MV errors
Pos:   0.7s     22f ( 0%)  2.25fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:-0.084 [0:189]
1 duplicate frame(s)!

It also sometimes has to skip a frame or has an error decoding it.

The result is that the image is often garbled, partly so much
that the real video can't be recognized anymore.

I know however that other h.264 decoders (such as those that come
PowerDVD 7 or Elecard avc Plugin for Mpeg Player) can deal with the
captured .ts stream much better.

Is there a way to tell mencoder to use another direct show decoder
such as one of the mentioned ones, or else is there another way to get rid
of the problem.

Up till now the only way to make use of the captured video is by using
GraphEdit, using the mentioned decoders and encoding it right on to
another format such as xvid - but this is a very suboptimal way as I
found no way to resize the video (from 1920x1088 to 1280x720).

Hope you can help me,
Lukas