[MEncoder-users] DivX in 1.0rc1

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 16:08:24 CEST 2006

Joshua Crawford wrote:

> * Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> [2006-10-27 17:54 +0200]:
>
>> On 10/27/06, Joshua Crawford <mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just upgraded to 1.0rc1 (from 1.0pre7try2) and now mencoder
>>> complains that 'divx4' is an unknown suboption for -ovc. I have
>>> divx4linux (5.0.5) installed. Any ideas why it isn't detected?
>>
>> DivX support has been discontinued, as the Change log of RC1
>> states:
> >    * removed support for obsolete and non-free divx4 libraries
>
> That sucks :(

Not particularly. There's no real advantage to using DivX instead of the
other, more free MPEG-4 encoders.

>> Alternative solutions to do the same thing (MPEG4 encoding) are
>> XviD and lavc mpeg4. The documentation has further infos on how to
>> use them
>
> So, I used to use 'mencoder -oac mp3lame -ovc divx4 -o output.avi
> input.mov' to create files with 'DX50' fourcc. What's the simplest
> way to do it with the new method? I had a quick look in the docs, but
> only saw 2-pass encoding.

fourcc can be overridden, regardless of which '-ovc' you use, with the
'-ffourcc' option. Just use '-ffourcc DX50' with either '-ovc lavc' or,
if you compiled with XviD support, '-ovc xvid'.

If you don't provide additional encoding options (using '-lavcopts
<options>' or '-xvidencopts <options>') the quality will be more or less
terrible - but it would have been just as terrible with your DivX
example command line anyway, so that shouldn't make much difference.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.