[MEncoder-users] How to encode old B&W movies efficiently ?

Lennart Börjeson Lennart.Borjeson at cinnober.com
Mon Oct 23 09:04:37 CEST 2006

Only the bitrate options control the file size, the rest just tweaks the
quality of the encoding.

So, by specifying grayscale you tell the codec (assuming it can handle the
option) to throw away all chroma bits and instead fill the specified bitrate
with luma bits.

Try specifying both grayscale and a reduced bitrate. YMMV.

/Lennart

söndag 22 oktober 2006 22:22 skrev Emmanuel Merliot:
> Hi,
>
> newbie question :
>
> I tried recently to grab some old movies with the following option :
> greyscale.
> Unfortunately, it appears that the result has the same size as a "coloured"
> movie. I expected that this option could reduce its size, as 256 colours
> encoding is 8bits depth instead of 24bits depth ...
> In fact the result file is actually gray scaled !
> What's wrong ? Is there another option i missed ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards.

!++
! Lennart Börjeson