[MEncoder-users] [mpeg4 @ 0x86f46cc]Error: 2pass curve failed to converge

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Oct 21 20:52:32 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Alejandro Vargas <alejandro.anv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm obtaining an error of "2pass curve failed to converge". The only
>> uncommon thing is the bitrate (more than 1300). (The problem is in the
>> second pass with MEncoder 1.0pre8-4.1.1) I'm re-encoding the video for
>> transcoding from xvid to divx and adding subtitles).
>>
>> ¿Is this a bug? Is there some walk-arrounds for this problem?
>

> Could you try with SVN version of MPlayer/MEncoder and see if the
> problem still exists?

Yes, this sounds like a known problem fixed in ffmpeg SVN a while ago.
MEncoder can't use all of the 1300 kbps you specified; the SVN version
will go ahead and use a lower bitrate automatically.

If you really want to use that higher bitrate, you can do things like:

* decrease vqmin
* decrease lmin if necessary
* decrease vratetol if you have a short video
* don't downscale the source video as much
* don't denoise as much
* don't worry about it; be happy with a smaller file
* you can use fewer high-quality options if you want faster processing

-Corey