[MEncoder-users] Re: Encoding to FLV from WMV is HORRID

Musixz Man musixz at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 17 19:08:40 CEST 2006

Jon,

Thanks. I understand the GIGO concept but the quality of the WMVs going in
is quite good.

Most of what Ive been testing is as 320x240 (in and out) - just to keep it
quick while testing.

Im not expecting the FLV encoding to improve the quality, but I wasnt
expecting it to totally trash it either.

For example, encoding a decent avi/mpg/mov (who's quality I'd rate at an 8)
to FLV, the resulting FLV would be a 6 or 7 depending on how high I go with
the bitrate.

But, if I take a compariable WMV and encode to FLV, the resulting FLV would
be a 2 at best - color bands, serious artifacts, what looks like 4 bit
color, etc.

Since I'm doing this via PHP, my exec command is as follows:

"mencoder ".$srcname." -o ".$flvname." -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=56 -vf scale=".$out_x.":".$out_y." -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=".$outvbr.":mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3
-lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -srate 22050"

Obviously, I pass in the source files, output file, bitrate and resolutions.

Im really hoping Im just doing something wrong here.

Thanks!