[MEncoder-users] mencoder no sound when reading from DVD

Manuel Lemos mlemos at acm.org
Sun Oct 15 02:05:42 CEST 2006

Hello,

on 10/14/2006 07:51 PM Reimar Döffinger said the following:
>> The mencoder command line that I used was generated by KVideoEncoder
>> program. I don't know why it generated -aid 128 parameter. 0 is MPEG
>> audio, 128 is AC3 . I am reporting to the author.
>
> That might be because probably nobody ever before has seen a DVD with
> MPEG audio. Which might be because, AFAIK, MPEG audio support is not
> mandatory for DVD players (and even if I think MPEG-layer2 audio sounds
> horrible compared to AC3).

Maybe, this DVD was authored with program that came with the video
capture device that I used to convert some video tapes. I don't know if
that was the problem but I recall that I set an option to generate a DVD
compatible with DVD players.

Anyway, I have no idea why KVideoEncoder forces setting -aid 128. If
this parameter is omitted, mencoder gets the audio from the right channel.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/