[MEncoder-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tutorial?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Oct 9 00:58:24 CEST 2006

On Monday, 09 October 2006 at 00:45, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
[...]
> On the gripping hand, please keep things in perspective.  Let me
> recall that this subthread of the discussion stems from the following
> ambiguity: documentation of `bitrate' option of `xvidencopts' does not
> specify whether it is video bitrate, or total bitrate.

Well, XviD is a video codec, so I would think it is quite obvious, that
any references to bitrate in that codec's documentation refer to video
bitrate.
Let's look at the option in question, shall we?

bitrate=<value> (CBR or two pass mode)
    Sets the bitrate to be used in kbits/second if <16000 or in bits/second
    if >16000. If <value> is negative, XviD will use its absolute value as
    the target size (in kBytes) of the video and compute the associated
                                       ^^^^^
    bitrate automagically (default: 687 kbits/s).

I direct your attention to the underlined word. Still ambiguous? I think
not.

> To fix it is to add one or two words.  Do you feel your invectives on
> "explain basic ... terminology" are in place in discussion of such a
> change?

Talk is cheap. Send a patch if it's so trivial.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/