[MEncoder-users] Re: Re: Re: Tutorial?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Oct 7 14:29:09 CEST 2006

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
> The Wanderer <mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>], who wrote in article
> <4526F7CA.1030508 at comcast.net>:

(I say again, please do not omit attributions when quoting. There were
two attributions here before - mine, attributing the first layer of
quote to Jeff, and Jeff's attributing the second layer of quote to you -
and you've snipped them both out.)

(Also, although informative, your attribution line is rather a bit too
long - and unless I'm less well informed about message infrastructure
standards than I thought, says something weird about your list-reading
interface.)

>>> As the docs say, positive number sets target bitrate, negative
>>> number sets target output file size (which is the same as setting
>>> bitrate, only you make the computer do slightly more arithmetic
>>> for you). I probably shouldn't have to say this, but if you have
>>> pass=1 in your xvidencopts, you will not observe any difference.
>>
>> However, his question appears to be whether it is "instantaneous
>> bitrate" (i.e., the bitrate which will be used at all times no
>> matter what) or "average bitrate" (i.e., the total number of bits
>> in the stream divided by the total length of the stream).
>
> ???  Nope.
>
> Let me restate my question again: which of two semantics holds:
>
> a) the bitrate part of `xvidencopts' is the target bitrate/size of
> the VIDEO PART of the produced file;
>
> b) the bitrate part of `xvidencopts' is the target TOTAL (=video +
> audio) bitrate/size of the produced file.

a), obviously.

The reason this is obvious is because XviD is a VIDEO codec, and has
nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the file (video, audio,
subtitles, metadata, container, etc); therefore, the XviD bitrate (which
is obviously what you're specifying, since these are 'xvidencopts')
cannot have anything to do with the non-video parts of the file.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.