[MEncoder-users] A simpleton's DVD ripping troubles & confusion over mplayer/mencoder's seemingly *complimentary* options

Nitin Jain nitinj1981 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 07:21:50 CEST 2006

On 10/2/06, Federico Zema <Federico.Zema at cern.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Nitin Jain wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to rip out the audio of a certain title (all the chapters, in
> > that title) in a DVD but mencoder never seems to work
> >
> > On giving:
> > > mencoder.exe dvd://10 -oac copy -o LaP.wav -ovc copy -o junk.vid
> > or
> > > mencoder.exe dvd://10 -chapter 2 -oac copy -o LaP.wav -ovc copy -o
> > > junk.vid
>
> Hi,
>  I'm neither a developer nor an expert user, so take this just as my half
> a cent!
>
> With those command lines you'll get an AVI file anyway. Try this:

Ummh, yes, that's right... but as you see, just after producing a
single frame, mencoder exits.

> mencoder.exe dvd://10 -of rawaudio -oac copy -ovc copy -o LaP.wav

Tried this, but mencoder has no idea what rawaudio means, so I guess
I've to install a newer version, maybe.

> (btw, are you sure the audio track is in wav format?)

Oh, no... not at all... I just gave that name w/o much thinking. I
could've given it say, LaP.aud or whatever...

regards,
Nitin